Friday, February 5, 2010

I remember when.....

Nostalgia (n) A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.

On Thursday, I had my first staff meeting of the school year.  Before the meeting I was commenting on how when I started at this school we had cake or goodies at the staff meetings.  This is now long gone.  It was not until the end of the meeting about 45 minutes later that I remembered the reason for the food... our meetings used to last for HOURS!!!!!

Isn't it weird how the mind works. When looking back, at first things seem so much better back then. I remember how much more exciting work used to be when I started... then I remember the stress of being a new teacher prepping all the new classes. It is like when I hold a newborn baby; I always yearn for another.  I forget the nights I slept in the recliner all night or the times when I things I needed to get done but the baby wouldn't allow it.

Maybe this feeling of nostalgia is caused by the fact that I am having Rhiannon's 7th birthday party tonight.  Maybe it is because my baby is almost one.  Even though looking back is enjoyable I know that looking in the future is just as exciting.  As my kids grow up there will be so many more activities we will be able to share and experiences we will have together.

And here is the birthday girl... doesn't she look grown up!

No comments:

Post a Comment