You probably would be surprised at the amount of people who ask me how I manage to do it all. Sometimes people even say "You always seem to have it 'together', how do you manage?"
Well my answer for them is "I don't". LOL Seriously, I might look like I have it all together and that I am "handling" it just fine. (what ever that "it" might be) But realistically I am just scraping by like everyone else.
I have two secrets I would like to share with you all when it comes to being a working mom (or dad). The first is Neglect! LOL My kids are luckily quite well adjusted and independent most of the time. I feel that they are able to play alone or do crafts or what not without parental help because they are somewhat neglected. They learn early to dress themselves and help each other because I can't be everywhere. Yes, my almost 7 year old can make breakfast for my 4 year old. So what if the kitchen might get a little messy at least they are being fed. Because they are neglected or maybe inspite of the neglect they are able to help each other and solve minor problems on their own.
The second secret is to prioritize. What is really important to you? In order to survive with my sanity intact there are things I need to let go. It is important to me that my kids are involved. I want my kids to be involved in things since kids that are busy have less time to get into "trouble" I think. So in order to be able to keep my kids involved I have had to give up some of my own personal time. I don't go to the gym or take "classes" for myself. (and I couldn't do it before work... I prioritize sleep as very important! Tired momma = grouchy momma) I also have prioritized a sparkling clean home as a low priority. Cleaning is very low on my list. Granted our house is not dirty just "lived in". I decided that it is OK that the kids do the dusting and vacuuming and cleaning the bathrooms. Sure, it is not done as well as I might do it but seriously... it is done!
Now this really has just been a little pep talk for myself. Reminding myself to Neglect and Prioritize!!! You see, I went into the school today for a couple of hours. I am trying to get the two little ones used to going to the sitters and I am trying to get my classroom organized for my return. There is just so much to do. I know there are things that I might need to neglect to do when I get back to work... and I must prioritize what is important to me as a teacher, in my class and in my home.
One other thing I know is that I can't do it all perfectly. In order to find that balance I will have to give up "perfection" and just be. It is all a balancing act. You see if I put my all into being a teacher and be the best teacher I can be then I find that I struggle at being a good mom.... but if I work 110% at being a good mom I fall short as a teacher.... I need to strive for that balance so I can kind of be good at both. That will mean that I may not be the best teacher I can be and that my time at home might be lacking in some ways.... but I need to find where I feel comfortable.
And THAT is what this blog is all about.... boring... huh?
(I promise that I will try to find something more entertaining to talk about soon!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I think that is why we are friends...those who neglect together, prioritize together! Or friends of a feather, neglect together. I think you strike a pretty good balance with your choices.
ReplyDeleteThanks... maybe I should talk about procrastination.... LOL... maybe I will save that for when my marking is piling up!
ReplyDeleteYour lucky Denise that cleaning falls low on your list. If I don't clean, I don't have sanity, therefore - Cleaning - very high on my list lol...then again, I'm not balancing all that you are ;)
ReplyDeleteAnd I spelled you're wrong. lol.
ReplyDeletelol Kristen!
ReplyDelete*Sigh*..... this post made me feel better about life in general. Thanks Denise! Supermoms who don't admit that they aren't really super DRIVE ME NUTS! It's nice to know we're all struggling, but doing our best, and hoping our choices will benefit the people we love the most.
ReplyDeleteAh Kathy. I am so glad that this post hit home for you. Sometimes I think that moms/women try to make it look like everything in their world is perfect and all this does is increase the stress of everyone. Moms need to be there to support each other... not to "one up" each other.
ReplyDelete